You can't pin them down
AUSTRALIA is an expansive place and for those with a lot of spare time and a few grey hairs it's one giant adventure to see and experience.
A grey nomad (GN) is someone who is 55 or older and is taking a long-term camping trip around Australia. Although they may use different kinds of rigs such as motor homes, caravans, camper trailers and tents, grey nomads can be characterised by their sense of adventure, humour and their camaraderie.
GNs are a busy, well-travelled bunch, just don't ask them to try and pinpoint their favourite spot.
David and Gwenda Quick from Wodonga in Victoria's north, here in Coffs Harbour for the A Frame Caravan Convention, had to think for a bit to pick the best spot.
“Here is nice,” Mrs Quick said.
“So is Bribie Island. South Australia is nice, too,” she added.
Their travelling companion Jeff Dowlan also from Wodonga likes the outdoors.
“I just like the National Parks,” he said.
Former Sawtell resident Lorraine, now of 'no fixed abode' said that she likes all of Australia.
“Australia-wide. It's just an awesome country,” she said.
“Australia has such a diversity of people and life.”
Lorraine's enthusiasm for travelling all over Australia shines through when talking about her favourite places to visit, although she can't pick just one. Lorraine began her nomad life when her family grew up.
“I just felt like I wanted to move around,” she said. Lorraine's home is a spacious fifth wheeler, which comes complete with bath tub.
She wanders back into Coffs a few times a year but always moves on after a couple of weeks. She never knows where the next stop will be.
Where to find more information:
Some useful websites to look at when planning your big trip around Australia:
- www.cmca.net.au Caravan and Motor Home Club of Australia
- www.thegreynomads.com.au All the news, stories, and features about grey nomads in Australia
- www.visitvictoria.com.au Tourism Victoria
- www.visitnsw.com/ Tourism New South Wales
- www.tq.com.au/ Tourism Queensland
- www.tourismnt.com.au Tourism Northern Territory
- www.westernaustralia.com/ Tourism Western Australia
- www.southaustralia.com Tourism South Australia
- www.discovertasmania.com/ Tourism Tasmania
- www.australia.com/ Tourism Australia