Xbox 360 party is over, but console will be supported
MICROSOFT has assured Xbox 360 users that the console will continue to be supported, despite the decision to stop production of the units.
The Xbox 360, which turned 10 last November, has been the focus of a staggering 78 billion hours played.
"Franchises like Gears of War were born on the 360, and established blockbusters like Halo really came into their own during this console generation,'' Microsoft's Phil Spencer said.
" Xbox 360 was also the foundation for industry-leading technical innovation like Kinect, and the start of system updates and dashboard refreshes based on fan feedback.
"... the console became a beloved gaming and entertainment hub with over 78 billion gaming hours played, nearly 486 billion Gamerscore on 27 billion achievements and over 25 billion hours spent in apps over its lifetime."
"Xbox 360 means a lot to everyone in Microsoft.
"And while we've had an amazing run, the realities of manufacturing a product over a decade old are starting to creep up on us.
"Which is why we have made the decision to stop manufacturing new Xbox 360 consoles. We will continue to sell existing inventory of Xbox 360 consoles, with availability varying by country.
"We know that many of you became gamers on Xbox 360 and are still active, so it's important to us that while the overall Xbox gaming experience will evolve and grow, we will continue to support the platform you love in multiple ways:
- Xbox 360 owners will continue to receive Xbox Live services for their console, such as online multiplayer gaming and parties, access to the apps they use today, and Games with Gold and Deals with Gold.
- Xbox Live servers that support Xbox 360 services will also remain online and active. Our Xbox 360 fans can continue to play their favorite games with the full support of Xbox Live.
- Gamers will also be able to continue to buy over 4,000 Xbox 360 games or Xbox 360 accessories at retail and through our Xbox 360 store online, while supplies last.
- Any Xbox 360 hardware will still be supported at xbox.com/support.
- And Xbox One owners will be able to continue to enjoy available Xbox 360 games through Xbox One Backward Compatibility - at no additional cost.