Menu
Lifestyle

What not to feed your pets over Christmas

WHILE the holiday period should be fun for all family members, pet owners have been warned to watch what they give their pets over the festive season.

Petbarn Gladstone store manager Sarah Webster said pet owners should resist the temptation to slip their pets Christmas food scraps under the table, because rich foods could be detrimental to their pet's health and wellbeing.

"Feeding your four-legged friend Christmas leftovers including cooked bones, ham offcuts, trimmed steak and sausages can cause problems such as obstruction and pancreatitis, which in turn could be potentially fatal and require serious medical attention," she said.

"It's important to keep your pet's diet consistent all year round.

"Animals have very different digestive systems and metabolism rates compared to humans, so take care when choosing what treats to give your pet.

"Remember that pet specific treats are always the best."

Pet owners should be alert when cooking the summer barbecue, because onions and garlic are toxic to cats and dogs and can cause liver damage.

Feeding pets tomatoes can also be dangerous because they contain atropine, which causes vomiting, diarrhoea and can leave your pet feeling weak and lethargic.

Christmas sweets including candy canes and chocolates should be kept away from animals.

Sweet treats can cause vomiting and diarrhoea and can result in seizures and heart failure.

Other sweets to avoid include Christmas pudding, grapes and macadamia nuts.

Greencross Vets echoes the warning, with the festive season being a busy one.

"December and January are our busiest times for tummy upsets at our clinics," veterinary director Nick Taylor said.

Topics:  animals christmas gladstone petbarn pets



Burglar wakes Summit couple

COUPLE woken in early hours when they saw a man leave their bedroom.

Car destroyed after it was left on roadside engulfed in fire

CAR FIRE: Firefighters from Sawtell were called to a burning Ford Falcon left on the side of Hulberts Rd, Sawtell on Sunday, February 18, 2018.

WATCH: Firefighters tackle car blaze late last night

Rubbish truck's load catches alight

A J.R. Richards and Sons rubbish truck container caught alight on the Pacific Highway.

Fire in skip bin causes traffic hold ups

Local Partners

To the stranger who Photoshopped my picture

MIRANDA agreed to have her photo taken with her mum in a jewellery store. When she logged onto Instagram the next day, she couldn’t believe her eyes.

Don't delay: this test could save your life

LIFE-SAVING: Rob Patch is on a mission to convince people to have their sleep apnoea checked in order to prevent an early death.

"The doctors said I had come there to die.”

Cricket's Merv Hughes can’t stomach drink and drug-drivers

AUSTRALIA - DECEMBER 26: Merv Hughes of Australia prepares to bowl on December 26, 1990 in Australia. (Photo by Getty Images)

former Australian cricketer’s first car was an HT Holden wagon.

Russia’s seedy ‘virginity trade’

On Russian social media, young girls and women are being recruited to sell their virginity to wealthy men. Picture: The Sun

Girls as young as 17 sell their virginity

Cancer teen married two days before death

19-year-old cancer patient Lydia Dominguez married her boyfriend Joshua Ordonez just two days before she died.

Teen with cancer dies after getting married two days earlier

Dad’s shock: ‘I was told I was a paedophile’

Karl Pollard was taking his daughter Stephanie to visit her sick grandmother. Picture: SWNS/Mega

Hotel apologises after wrongly accusing innocent dad of paedophilia