Two new virus cases in Queensland

Queensland has recorded two new cases of COVID-19, including a male child, as the Brisbane Youth Detention Centre cluster grows.

It means there are now nine cases linked to the latest outbreak.

A public health alert will be released for a number of locations across southeast Queensland later today.

Both of the new cases are related to the seven cases announced yesterday, Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young.

Dr Young said it was critical that anyone with symptoms over the next week got tested.

"We will continue to test all of the youth in the centre," she said.

"There is just a few outstanding."

Dr Young said there were about 500 staff who worked at the centre, and that some worked in other workplaces.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk at a press conference at Parliament House. Picture: Tara Croser.
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk at a press conference at Parliament House. Picture: Tara Croser.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk this morning said 6675 people had been tested in past 24 hours.

She said there have been 202 results from staff at the Youth Detention Centre that have come back negative as well as more than 100 negative results from the young people.

Ms Palaszczuk is speaking from Parliament House almost 24 hours after a new cluster of COVID-19 cases in southeast Queensland that has triggered tough new restrictions.

"This is going to be tough on a lot of families," Ms Palaszczuk said, referring to the new restrictions including aged care home lock downs.

"As soon as we can lift those restrictions, we will."

The Premier said it was safe to visit businesses because they have COVID safe plans.

Ms Palaszczuk urged the public to look at the list of places visited by the infected people to see if they have been to any of the listed places.

She said it was important that anyone with any symptoms went and got tested.

Ms Palaszczuk said the list was too comprehensive to read out.

There are currently more than 3,000 people in hotel quarantine

Police say compliance on the new restrictions, including the ten person limit in homes, had overall been good.

Authorities have warned more positive cases will be uncovered in the coming days as contact tracers work around the clock to document the movements of those infected.

The State Government in response has enforced new COVID restrictions, with gatherings in homes and public places in the Brisbane, Ipswich, Logan, Scenic Rim, Lockyer Valley, Moreton Bay, Somerset and Redlands regions restricted to a maximum of 10 people.

Aged care and disability care facilities in those regions shut their doors to visitors on Saturday morning and will remain closed for two weeks.

Outside the Greater Brisbane region gatherings will be restricted to 30 in public places and homes.



Public poos prompt public plea from Woopi aged care CEO

Premium Content Public poos prompt public plea from Woopi aged care CEO

‘It’s just sad people think defecating outside an aged care centre is...

Coffs Coast beckons as Surfer Groms Comp Series arrives

Premium Content Coffs Coast beckons as Surfer Groms Comp Series arrives

The 2020 Woolworths Surfer Groms Comp Series hits Coffs Harbour this weekend