Waste levy adds pressure in bad year for builders
THE Queensland Government's waste levy will be the third strike in a year of hardship, according to Laurie Colledge of Warwick construction company Active Built.
The waste levy will charge dumpers $75 per tonne of wood, earth and other waste and up to $155 for regulated waste, taking effect on July 1.
Mr Colledge said the levy would put pressure on builders trying to keep their prices manageable.
"For a standard residential job we usually fill three bins which carry three tonnes of waste each,” he said.
"The cost of dumping these bins will have to be factored into our quotes going forward.”
While other states in Australia have already implemented the levy, Mr Colledge said it was a case of bad timing for the Queensland construction industry.
Between the introduction of payment scheduling driving up administrative costs and the banks cracking down on house loans, Mr Colledge said it had been one thing after another for builders.
"The Queensland Government has not been kind to construction this year. It certainly feels like they are not listening to us,” he said.
Ian McNally of G.J. Gardner Warwick and Stanthorpe hoped the levy would encourage companies to do the right thing.
"The levy is going to make people more conscious about how much they are wasting,” he said.
"It is unfortunate it had to take financial penalisation to make it happen.
"There is never a good time for an increase in fees.”
Mr McNally said his company was lucky to have a shed on-site where staff could sort, separate and recycle waste materials.
"The construction industry has traditionally been wasteful but the industry has changed and will never go back to how it was.”