A FORMER Australian schoolboy who previously lived in Buderim on the Sunshine Coast, has pleaded not guilty to slaughtering his wealthy parents and brother in an axe attack in the South African metropolis of Cape Town.
Police allege Van Breda killed his brother Rudi, parents Martin and Teresa and left his sister Marli on the verge of death after attack her head, neck and throat.
The family's luxury home was the scene of the massacre, which made worldwide headlines on January 27, 2015.
Van Breda told the Western Cape High Court he was "not guilty" to three counts of murder, and one count of attempted murder.
Van Breda's lawyer told the court a masked intruder was responsible for the killings, saying the man entered the fortified home and attacked the family with an axe in the early hours of that morning.
"I shouted for help, shouting to attract attention," Van Breda told the court.
"My father was struck as he lunged towards the attack. He was hit a number of times... I also recall the attacker was laughing".
Van Breda said he could "make out the silhouette of somebody" attacking his brother.
The van Breda family opened and ran Engel and Volkers in Mooloolaba in 2009, but later closed it as the Global Financial Crisis began to reach Australian shores.
The family kept their home in Buderim when they returned to South Africa. It was listed for sale last month.
Both Rudi - a 21-year-old student -- and their father Martin, 54, were found on a bloodied bed after being struck with an axe.
Van Breda's mother was found with a gaping head wound on a bedroom balcony.
Van Breda himself suffered some minor bruises and scratches, which some experts suggest may have been self inflicted.
The 22-year-old delivered himself to police 18 months after the bloodshed.
Van Breda said in a statement that he had passed out after disarming his family's killer.
A police officer who attended the scene told the court there were no signs of forced entry.
The trial continues.