Turkish Prime Minister says coup attempt has failed
UPDATE SUN 5.30AM: Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim has given a television appearance to say the military coup attempt is "completely under control".
The official death toll given by the Turkish Government is 161, not including those involved in the coup, reports ABC News Online.
About 106 military personnel involved in the coup were also killed.
UPDATE: The number of people killed during the attempted military coup now stands at almost 200.
The toll, released by Turkish officials, is one of the most deadly incidents the country has experienced in a year marred by terrorists attacks.
Prime Minister Binali Yildirim told media 2,839 military personnel had been detained.
Video also emerged on Twitter of some officers claiming they were told the coup was an exercise, and weren't given any other information.
UPDATE 4:50PM: TURKISH officials have updated the number of people arrested over last night's attempted military coup and now say more than 1500 military officers are in custody.
The coup primarily impacted the capital Ankara, where at least 42 people are believed to have died, and Istanbul.
The state media agency Anadolu Agency reported the death toll at increased from 60 to 90 people across both cities.
Military planes were used to shoot at protesters in Istanbul overnight before the army closed down the Bosphorus Bridge.
The bridge and other major locations in the city were under military control for several hours but have since been emptied of soldiers.
Video shared on social media shows tanks left abandoned on Istanbul roads.
Clashes between police and military in Ankara went well into the morning, local time.
The general public revolted against the leaders attempting to take over the government, with many performing citizen arrests as military officers stormed into news studios and other public places.
Police special ops and military in ongoing operation to retake control of Turkish military HQ in Ankara - official.— Erin Cunningham (@erinmcunningham) July 16, 2016
UPDATE 3:40PM: TURKISH leaders have told media 16 coup organisers were killed in fighting at the country's military headquarters in the capital of Ankara.
The state-run media organisation Anadolu Agency also reported more than 750 military officials were arrested.
Military service is compulsory for young men in Turkey.
Earlier, it reported 17 police officers were killed during an attack on the police headquarters in Ankara.
The report has not been confirmed.
UPDATE 2:30PM: The death toll from an attempted military coup has now grown to at least 60.
An unnamed senior government official told local media the death toll, earlier believed to have been about 42, had grown.
Many of the dead are believed to be civilians.
At least one military official who allegedly helped lead the coup has also been killed.
The official also told media more than 330 soldiers had been arrested as a result of overnight takeover attempt.
Soldiers used tanks and aircraft to attack key locations in Istanbul and the capital Ankara, including parliament.
They also shut down two bridges in Istanbul that connected the two sides of the city.
Video footage streamed across the world shows dozens of soldiers early this morning Turkish time, many hours after the coup began, walking away from tanks parked on the Bosphorus Bridge with their hands in the air.
Forces behind the attempted takeover were still in control of many military resources as of 2.30pm Australian time - Reuters reported the military's General Staff press office sent an email to media outlets from a pro-coup faction called the Peace At Home Movement.
The email reportedly urged members of the public to stay indoors and said the faction continued to fight.
UPDATE 1PM: TURKEY's Prime Minister has told local media 42 people have been killed in the attempted military coup.
He also said more than 130 military officers had been arrested in the aftermath of the night-time coup.
As the day arrived in Ankara and Istanbul, the main cities affected by the uprising, photos emerged of damage to the Parliament building in the capital.
UPDATE 11.30am: President Erdogan has said he doesn't know the whereabouts of the chief of Turkey's army, and has vowed the organisers of the attempted military coup will 'pay the price in front of the nation'.
A hospital official in Istanbul told AP more than 150 people had been admitted with injuries. Two people are also reported to have died when an army helicopter fired on members of the public.
People in Ankara reported on social media that a helicopter also fired on parliament buildings, even as Erdogan was addressing the nation in Istanbul.
Erdogan has called on insurgent officers who are still at large to stand down. More than 50 military officers have been arrested so far.
UPDATE 11am: TWO people have reportedly been killed during the attempted coup by military officers in Turkey.
Video shows a military helicopter firing on pro-government members of the public in Istanbul in an attempt to disperse them from one of two bridges closed down by coup forces.
Reuters also reported witnesses describing two loud explosions near Taksim Square in central Istanbul. Media in the region said the sounds were actually the sonic boom of jets flying overhead.
The square is a major location for protests and gatherings and sits next to the cities biggest shopping district.
Police and army officers exchanged gunfire in the square after the government reported the coup to be over.
Journalists in Turkey also reported more military officers stormed the office of CNN Turk. Video live streamed on Facebook by the news station showed officers attempting to herd reporters and protesters.
President Erdogan's plane that was carrying him back to Istanbul also reportedly went back into the air after an explosion at Ataturk Airport. He has now come out of the airport to speak to the nation.
Helicopter involved in the coup attempt opens fire on protesters. Unbelievable. pic.twitter.com/urcJmogRo7— Mahir Zeynalov (@MahirZeynalov) July 15, 2016
UDPDATE 10.40AM: TURKEY'S intelligence agency MIT has told local media the coup is now over and the army's chief of staff, Gen. Hulusi Akar, was back in control of the military.
Video emerged on social media of military officers being arrested by police and calling on other officers to surrender.
President Erdogan has just landed in the city of Istanbul, where pro-government protesters were out on the street.
Istanbul police told reporters that more than 100 military officers were involved in the coup.
UPDATE 10am: AUSTRALIAN travellers have been warned to reconsider their need to go to Istanbul and Ankara as Turkey's military blocks bridges.
Travellers have also been advised to high degree of caution in the rest of the country.
"There are reports of unauthorised military movements in Ankara and Istanbul and gunfire," the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade said in a warning.
"Bridges across the Bosphorous in Istanbul are closed. Airport operations have been disrupted, including at Istanbul's Ataturk airport.
"Confirm your flight's status before travelling to the airport so long as it is safe to do so."
The airport was also under threat last month when suicide bombers and shooters attacked two terminals on June 28.
An estimated 45 people were killed in the attack and was claimed by ISIS.
It was the third major attack in the two cities so far this year after two bombings in the capital that were both claimed to have been done by the Kurdistan Freedom Falcons.
The Turkish government told media the attempted coup was unsuccesful and had now ended, amid reports of a bomb going off at the Turkish parliament in Ankara.
BREAKING: Top Turkish official says coup attempt appears to have been unsuccessful, all government officials in charge of their offices.— The Associated Press (@AP) July 16, 2016
EARLIER: TURKEY'S military has claimed to have seized power of the country - but President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said the attempted coup would be put down.
If successful, the overthrow of Mr Erdogan, who has ruled Turkey since 2003, would transform one of the most important US allies in the region while war rages on its border.
"We will overcome this," Mr Erdogan said, speaking by mobile phone to the Turkish sister station of CNN. He called on his followers to take to the streets to defend his government and said the coup plotters would pay a heavy price.
The army has seized media outlets, including the state-run TRT channel. The channel has broadcast a statement on the orders of the military. An announcer read a statement on the orders of the military that accused the government of eroding the democratic and secular rule of law. The country would be run by a "peace council" that would ensure the safety of the population, the statement said.
The statement said: "Turkish Armed Forces have completely taken over the administration of the country to reinstate constitutional order, human rights and freedoms, the rule of law and general security that was damaged.
"All international agreements are still valid. We hope that all of our good relationships with all countries will continue."
A source at TRT told The Independent she and her colleagues were evacuated by the military earlier on Friday. TRT has now gone off air.
Aiports were shut across the country, access to Internet social media sites was cut off, and troops sealed off the two bridges over the Bosphorus in Istanbul, one of which was still lit up red, white and blue in solidarity with victims of the Bastille Day truck attack in France a day earlier.
Turkey, a Nato member with the second biggest military in the Western alliance, is one of the most important allies of the United States in the fight against Islamic State.
It is a principal backer of opponents of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad in that country's civil war, and host to 2 million Syrian refugees.
The country has been at war with Kurdish separatists, and has suffered numerous bombing and shooting attacks this year, including an attack two weeks ago by Islamists at Istanbul's main airport that killed more than 40 people.
A senior EU source monitoring the situation told Reuters: "It looks like a relatively well orchestrated coup by a significant body of the military, not just a few colonels. They've got control of the airports and are expecting control over the TV station imminently. They control several strategic points in Istanbul.
"Given the scale of the operation, it is difficult to imagine they will stop short of prevailing. It's not just a few colonels," the source repeated.
US Secretary of State John Kerry says he hopes for stability and continuity in Turkey following reports that an attempted military coup is under way in the NATO member state.
Moscow has called on the country to avoid "bloodshed" and Russia's foreign minister is advising countrymen in Turkey to stay inside amid coup uncertainty.
Reuters contributed to this report