Toddler Mason Lee’s death sparks system protest
HUNDREDS are expected to rally in Caboolture today to protest the child protection system that failed Mason Lee.
The 21-month-old toddler was found dead in his Caboolture home on June 11.
Only months earlier he had been sent home by child protection services despite allegedly suffering sexual and physical abuse.
Three separate investigations have been launched to try and uncover what went wrong.
Morayfield resident Anna Standcombe has organised a peaceful protest outside the Child Safety Service office in Caboolture from 9am.
She told other media the community felt helpless and frustrated Mason had been allowed to fall through the cracks.
She feared if something did not change, other children would be put at risk.
"The system has failed, because if it had worked little Mason would still be here and we just want to prevent the same thing happening to another child," she said.
The protest has gained the full support of Walking Warriors Australia.
The group was initially started as Walk for William in support of the William Tyrell who went missing from his grandma's NSW home in September 2014.
Since then it has expanded to have the goal of ensuring a safer Australia "in every community for all our children".
Queensland Health Minister Cameron Dick has ordered a report into the actions of doctors who treated Mason.
Child Safety Minister Shannon Fentiman has also called for an independent expert panel to examine the case while police continue their investigations.