Menu
News

Couple accidentally tip $800 for a $25 lunch

MACKAY buyers beware.

A report has been making the rounds on social media, claiming an elderly couple was ripped off after they had lunch at a Mackay shopping centre.

The Facebook post, which began with the words "Warning warning warning", said the man paid more than $800 for the meals after he appeared to have entered his pin into the eftpos machine when the machine was requesting to enter a tip amount.

"Please be aware of what your receipt says and it is for what you purchased," Jen Bryant, the person who posted the status, said.

It is unclear whether the man received a refund but the post has caused angst among social media users.

Mackay Chamber of Commerce chairman Tim Miles said the issue had been blown out of proportion on social media.

"I think it's a pretty rare mistake," he said.

"The business should give the money back. It's the sensible thing to do, any honest business owner would do so.

"It's an honest mistake and most business owners would automatically go to the lengths required to give the person their money back."

At the peak of the Christmas rush, mistakes such as this one can often be overlooked. Mr Miles said business owners and shoppers should continue to check transactions.

"They have a lot on their plate," he said.

"But businesses are open most days of the year, so they would have systems in place to be able to identify these problems.

"It's a one-off mistake, it doesn't happen very often."

Mackay woman Stacey Lee Faulkner does not agree.

She shared a similar experience on Facebook.

"I was handed the eftpos machine at a bakery recently to type in my pin, instead my pin became the tip and it was only when the machine asked for the pin again that I realised the problem."

Topics:  editors picks glitch mackay tip warning



Burglar wakes Summit couple

COUPLE woken in early hours when they saw a man leave their bedroom.

Car destroyed after it was left on roadside engulfed in fire

CAR FIRE: Firefighters from Sawtell were called to a burning Ford Falcon left on the side of Hulberts Rd, Sawtell on Sunday, February 18, 2018.

WATCH: Firefighters tackle car blaze late last night

Rubbish truck's load catches alight

A J.R. Richards and Sons rubbish truck container caught alight on the Pacific Highway.

Fire in skip bin causes traffic hold ups

Local Partners