Councillors revoke motion to speed up A-League negotiations
WITH six weeks to go before the match is due to be played, Coffs Harbour councillors have rescinded a motion designed to speed up negotiations for a pre-season A-League game on August 7.
On June 11, the councillors voted to make $50,000 available to North Coast Football and Novotel Pacific Bay Resort for the pre-season game.
On Thursday, the councillors rescinded this and replaced it with a much more tightly worded motion on the same topic.
Crs Mark Sultana and Bob Palmer moved that:
1. The council seeks a memorandum of understanding with North Coast Football to develop a schedule of costs and responsibilities required to stage an A-League pre-season match on August 7 at C.ex Coffs International Stadium.
2. The council offers an allocation of no more than $50,000 of previously allocated funds within the Sports Unit budget towards the A-League fixture.
3. Any funds generated through possible sponsorships will be applied to any shortfall in funds after the $50,000 has been allocated.
The reference to Novotel Pacific Bay Resort was removed after Cr Keith Rhoades said people were questioning him about why the council was allocating money to a private resort.
In answer to a question from Cr Degens about the unusually short time frame, the general manager Steve McGrath said there was no reason why the negotiations could not be completed in time but it depended on the 'reasonableness' of the MOU and the hirer's agreement with the stadium.
Discussion of the timing of a future A-League competition match was shut down by Mr McGrath, who described it as "sensitive territory" and said a meeting on Thursday had to be cancelled in light of the rescission motion.