Three men face charges for threatening Korean nationals
THREE men have appeared in the Bundaberg Magistrates Court to face charges over an alleged armed robbery and assault on a group of Korean nationals on Monday.
Police allege a group of men and women was walking along Johnston St about 9.15pm when the three men approached them and made demands for money and property.
The men allegedly threatened the group with a gun before assaulting two of the men, causing them facial injuries.
The men have all been charged with two counts each of armed robbery in company and one count each of attempted robbery and assault occasioning bodily harm.
Matthew Bergman, 24, of Long Gully, did not apply for bail when he appeared in court.
Nickolas Adam Haevecker, 20, of Ipswich, applied for bail when he appeared.
Solicitor Mary Buchanan told the court Haevecker had been out drinking with the other two and they were walking along Johnston St when they saw the other group.
Bergman called out to them and the situation developed into a scuffle.
She said Haevecker had no idea it was a robbery, and thought it was just a street fight.
Magistrate Deb Vasta told Haevecker the other group was scared enough to cross the street to avoid them.
She said it was allegedly a vicious attack, and people were punched and kicked while they were on the ground.
Mrs Vasta remanded Haevecker in custody.
Cody Richard Stephen Moriarty, 21, of Millbank, also applied for bail.
Solicitor Rien Dwyer said Moriarty was intoxicated at the time, and Bergman had started the whole thing and the other two had got involved. He said there was no gun, although a threat was made.
Mrs Vasta said she was satisfied Moriarty was not a risk for committing further offences, and she allowed him bail with conditions.
All three men will appear again on October 1.