Three bodies still missing after Grantham flood
THREE bodies have never been recovered since floodwater wreaked havoc upon Grantham and killed 12 people on January 10, 2011.
A detective inspector who helped lead the police taskforce set up following the disaster told an inquiry into the flood, two of those missing were from Grantham.
At the hearing on Tuesday, Det Insp David Isherwood said the third was a man washed off the Warrego Hway in his car at Helidon.
The taskforce made finding vehicles submerged or washed away a priority because they were concerned numerous drivers and passengers might have died in the vehicles.
Det Insp Isherwood said 767 vehicles were found between Toowoomba and the Lockyer Valley, and 162 in Grantham and the Lockyer Valley.
He said the vehicles were found in yards, houses, fields and creeks.
Over the next two to three days the inquiry will focus on how the flooding was first investigated and how eyewitness accounts were handled, particularly by State Government agencies and emergency services.
Some of the witnesses who have spoken at the hearing so far were residents concerned the Grantham quarry, or sand plant, contributed to the flood.
It is a claim the quarry owner from January 2011, Denis Wagner, refuted when he gave evidence last week.
Earlier on Tuesday, a former quarry worker said when he worked there between 2000 and 2001 there was a bund wall about 2m high along the western side of the sand plant.
But the employee, Trevor Leishman, said no material was ever dumped there during his six months there.
The inquiry, which will also consider whether the quarry impacted the flood, continues.
- APN NEWSDESK