Diane Capararo with the bug-catcher which sparked a blaze at her takeaway store.
Diane Capararo with the bug-catcher which sparked a blaze at her takeaway store. ROB WRIGHT

Takeaway left with smoky flavours

THE sizzling burgers at Marcia Street Takeaway weren’t the only things you could smell yesterday.

The distinct aroma of smoke as you walked in the front door was the legacy of a fire which took hold on Sunday about 7pm.

A man walking his dog had spotted flickering in the window and rang triple-0 while he set to work with a garden hose.

“The landlord called us and I was sick in the stomach – I had been down here cooking earlier in the day and I thought I’d left something on,” said owner Diane Capararo.

“When we got here it was all over.”

A large bug-catcher attached to the wall was the source of the problem – it caught alight and parts of the unit fell onto the tables and chairs below and they also started going up in flames.

The passer-by was able to find a garden hose and shove it through the window, which had smashed from the intense heat.

Coffs Harbour Fire Station crews in two trucks were quickly on the scene and took over.

They busted their way in through the front door, doused the flames and ventilated the building.

Elsewhere, police officers patrolling Toormina noticed a small shrub and grass fire in the creek bed near Hulberts Road industrial estate on Sunday afternoon.

Sawtell Fire Station crews rushed to the scene and quickly doused the flames.



Council clears up CCTV controversy

Council clears up CCTV controversy

Six cameras, 53 security lights installed at Park Beach.

No take zone changes to marine park

No take zone changes to marine park

Boundary changes in the Solitary Island Marine Park come into force

Who is the undie flusher?

Who is the undie flusher?

Residents warned not to flush underwear down the loo.

Local Partners