Surf’s up with Craig
PROFESSIONAL lifeguard and musician Craig Freeman will be in his element this Sunday when he performs at the Coffs Surf Club.
The singer-songwriter released his debut single Hookers and Thieves in June 2012, receiving airplay all over the country. It was taken off his debut EP Any Other Day recorded at Misfit studios in Los Angeles.
"It's a mellow indictment of wasted time and the 'could have, would have, should haves' people say to themselves about pivotal moments in their lives," Freeman says.
Live For Today and Shadow Room are especially telling, in which Freeman says: "Don't waste your time" and "Take it all/It's gone too soon."
From Sydney's Annandale Hotel to The Solbar on the Sunshine Coast and all the way to Perth, this talented performer is building his fan base from the ground up by getting out on the road playing impressive shows and winning people over with his smooth and powerful voice, one town at a time.
It's this grassroots attitude that ensures Freeman maintains a personal connection to his fans, just how he likes it.
From the surf to the stage, he often draws similarities between the ocean and his songs, in that there are deep calming lulls to overwhelmingly intense moments, fuelling the emotions of his listeners.
As a child growing up in the UK there was always music in the house. If it wasn't being played on guitar or piano it was in the form of the Beatles, Dire Straits or Queen played on Craig's father's record player.
Throughout his teens Craig DJ'd house music and also played bass in a Britpop band, as well as listening to everything going. So, to name McCartney, Clapton, Lennon and Damien Rice as influences is only scratching the surface.
- Ministry Clubber Guide Tour - DJs Joel Fletcher & Ember, Plantation Hotel.
- CC Jerome & The Jetsetters, Coffs Hotel.
- The Kabz, C.ex Coffs.
- DJ Jordy Retro Rewind Old School Party, Coast Hotel.
- Voodoo Express, Pier Hotel.
- Dirty Love, Seaview Tavern Woolgoolga.
- Forward Groove, Sawtell Hotel.
- Musomatch, Attitude Burgers, Coffs Jetty.
- Hammer & The Goon, Hoey Moey.
- Mike Vee, Park Beach Bowling Club.
- Future Music Festival - DJs Yours Truly, Plantation Hotel.
- The Lazy Sundays, Hoey Moey.
- The Edge, C.ex Coffs.
- Floyd Vincent, Coast Hotel.
- Brenndan Leggatt, Federal Hotel Bellingen.
- Seleen McAlister, Park Beach Bowling Club.
- Show Us Your Talent - Heat 1, Sawtell Hotel.
- Paul Clement, Attitude Burgers, City Centre.
- Dirty Love, Hoey Moey.
- Big-Big Boogie band 1pm, Coast Hotel.
- Craig Freeman 3pm, Coffs Surf Club.
- ESP, Latitude 30, Coffs Jetty.
- Duane, Simon & Roland, Saltwater Restaurant Emerald Beach.
- Wendy & Mike, Harbourside Markets, Coffs Jetty.
- Feb 20: Brian Cadd & Glen Shorrock, Sawtell RSL.
- Feb 21: The Searchers, C.ex Coffs.
- Feb 22: McAlister Kemp, C.ex Coffs.