Substation fire caused blackouts
COFFS HARBOUR residents have endured more blackouts in the wake of Wednesday’s fire in a Cornish Street substation.
Firefighters and Country Energy crews dashed to the scene when the 11,000-volt substation went haywire and caused widespread blackouts in Coffs Harbour South, Toormina and Sawtell.
More disruptions were to come.
Later that afternoon, about 200 households in and around Cornish Street were again without power after an electrical fault in the substation’s transformer.
Country Energy crews restored supply to most customers by 6.30pm.
“A generator was brought in to ensure power supply was maintained overnight and power supply to all customers was restored by 8pm,” said Country Energy regional general manager Brian Mclean.
Country energy crews are working in Cornish Street to replace the transformer and a generator will be used to maintain power supplies to households to minimise any further disruption to residents in the area.
There will be a short power interruption prior to the new transformer being connected and local residents will be informed by Country Energy crews when this is due to occur.