STORM: BoM issues severe warning
SEVERE thunderstorms, likely to produce heavy rainfal,l are set to hit the Maranoa, Warrego and Central West region this afternoon.
The Bureau of Meterology issued the warning at 4.53pm, stating the storms may lead to flash flooding, damaging winds and large hailstones over the next several hours.
The warning affects parts of the Central Coast and Whitsundays, Central Highlands and Coalfields, Central West, Maranoa and Warrego, and Darling Downs and Granite Belt districts.
BOM said locations affected include Roma, Charleville, St George, Clermont, Moranbah and Mungindi.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
- Move your car under cover or away from trees.
- Secure loose outdoor items.
- Never drive, walk or ride through flood waters. If it's flooded, forget it.
- Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
- Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
- Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 7:55 pm.