Stitches land teen on drip
AN accidental bite from her pet dog has landed Ashley Tweedie in hospital.
But her parents, English staffy breeders Craig and Sheron Tweedie, say the injury should not have left the 17-year-old battling infection and on an antibiotic drip for five days.
The hospital’s acting general manager, Dr Theresa Beswick, has apologised to the family and said staff were working with them to ensure the best treatment for Ashley who was still in hospital yesterday.
The barefoot teenager was bitten while trying to separate her own dog, Jessie, from her litter sister, while the two dogs were fighting indoors on Friday night.
Mr Tweedie said he had twice told the doctor at the Coffs Harbour emergency department not to stitch the 2mm deep puncture wounds between the toes on Ashley’s foot, because the teenager had experienced such serious problems with the healing of stitches in the past. He said his advice had been ignored; Ashley had received three stitches in her foot and had been sent home without painkillers.
Mr Tweedie said his daughter had the skin condition vitiligo and a compromised immune system which meant stitches could be dangerous.
He said after leaving the hospital about 2am on Saturday to return to their Woolgoolga home, the family had been forced to return about 11am on Sunday because Ashley’s foot was badly inflamed.
Mr Tweedie said the surgeon who saw Ashley on Sunday had removed the stitches and said the wounds should not have been stitched because it was a dog bite.
Ashley was admitted to Coffs Harbour Base Hospital on Sunday and placed on an antibiotic drip to control the infection.
Dr Beswick said: “Coffs Harbour Base Hospital staff have discussed the patient’s ongoing care with the family and is working with them to ensure that the best treatment is provided.”