Menu
News

Star Wars fans evacuated from cinema over toilet fire

Emergency services and disappointed theatre-goers on Brisbane St on Friday night.
Emergency services and disappointed theatre-goers on Brisbane St on Friday night.

STAR Wars fans have been waiting for more than a decade to see the next film in the epic saga but all it took was a small fire in a toilet cubicle to have them scampering out of the cinema.

Theatre-goer Damien Fitzpatrick discovered the fire in the men's bathroom at Birch, Carroll and Coyle Cinemas in Ipswich about 6.30pm this evening and quickly alerted staff.

As an evacuation was called, hundreds of theatre-goers scampered out of the fire exits and on to Brisbane St in the CBD as more than 40 emergency workers responded to the incident.

No-one was injured and the fire was quickly put out.

It is believed the fire was started by someone lighting a roll of toilet paper on fire.

It caused chaos for the cinema with hundreds of people booked to see Star Wars: The Force Awakens only a day after it came into cinemas.

The highly-anticipated film is the biggest release to the big screen this year and has so far attracted record crowds to cinemas across the country.

Early viewers at Ipswich saw only 10 minutes of the film before they were forced to leave their seats, many taking their drinks and popcorn with them.

Topics:  birch carroll and coyle fire star wars



Enticer to 'Tri' and win bike

COME TRI: A shorter distance event for those new to the sport is being held as part of the bcu Coffs Tri weekend.

Enticer at Coffs Tri for those thinking about doing first triathlon.

Valla search unable to find missing swimmer

An aerial view of Valla Beach.

Hopes of finding swimmer who went missing at Valla Beach are fading.

Son of Ibrahim's bodyguard gunned down in Coffs Harbour

SHOOTING VICTIM: Nemilote 'Nim' Ngata (right) with John Ibrahim. Ngata was shot in Coffs Harbour on February 10, 2018.

The son of Semi Ngata, shot three months ago, was hit by a shotgun

Local Partners