Staffing offer – nurses go back
NURSES in Coffs Harbour re-opened closed beds in the base hospital yesterday as their union considers a nurse-staffing offer from the NSW Government.
The NSW Nurses’ Association has been campaigning for a mandatory ratio of one nurse to every four patients in NSW public hospitals since August 2010.
The campaign was stepped up this month.
From January 10 Coffs Harbour hospital beds which had been closed by NSW Health over Christmas, remained closed, as nurses moved to close one in four beds at all major NSW public hospitals in support of their campaign.
This industrial action has now been suspended.
The president of the Coffs Harbour Health Campus branch of the Nurses’ Association, Sue White, will attend a meeting of the Association Council in Sydney on Monday, January 17, to consider the offer.
“If the council thinks this is a reasonable offer it will be passed on to delegates,” Ms White said.
The president of the Coffs Harbour community nursing branch, Caroline Gishard, said a committee of delegates was planning to meet in Sydney on Tuesday, January 18, to discuss the offer.