Smoke alarms alert fire brigades
SAWTELL fire chief Cr Keith Rhoades says smoke alarms proved vital in two house fires on Thursday night.
Sawtell Fire Station officers dashed to Silvereye Close at Boambee East at 6.40pm when food cooking on a stove caught alight.
Cr Rhoades – who is also the city’s mayor – said the owners had doused the flames by the time the brigade arrived. “We ventilated the home and there was minor smoke damage to the kitchen area,” he said.
Crews were again on red alert when a blaze broke out in Sawtell’s 11th Avenue at 8.50pm.
“The occupants had tried to extinguish the fire with a garden hose and the brigade used a hose line. Police also attended,” Mr Rhoades said.
Elsewhere, firefighters were called to Woolgoolga’s Younger Lane yesterday morning when up to 200 litres of cooking oil spilled onto the road.
Woolgoolga Fire Station commander Ray Webb said it appeared the incident happened when a drum came loose from a truck.