Simple and nice Zucchini and Corn Slice
DON’T let the simplicity of this zucchini and corn slice fool you, it is incredibly delicious.
Literally, you can have it for breakfast, lunch, dinner and even as a snack.
This vegetarian recipe is inexpensive, well balanced and nourishing.
The use of wholesome organic ingredients provides an abundance of vitamins and minerals and organic eggs are a great source of quality vegetarian protein.
This recipe originated from my sister’s home economic class in Year 8.
I remember when it first arrived home and my sister pulled it out of her school bag and it was sweating in an old school Tupperware container.
She was so proud and there was no way I was trying that slice, even if you paid me! However, mum remade it with her and this slice very quickly became a regular in my family home.
Over the years it has been poked and prodded and our own personal twists have been added and taken away.
However, the original concept remains.
Feel free to make any changes you would like.
Just remember, simple recipes using quality ingredients in this slice is crucial.
Sometimes, I like to add a little bacon or some marinated feta for something a little fancy.
This recipe can also be made into little individual serves by using mini loaf tins or a muffin tin.
This slice may be simple to make but it is even easier to eat!
ZUCCHINI AND CORN SLICE
PREP: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 30-40 minutes
- 5 eggs, lightly whisked
- 2 large zucchinis, grated
- 1 corn cob, kernels removed
- 1 large onion, grated or finely chopped
- 1 cup self-raising flour (use wheat-free and gluten-free options if required)
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbs. parsley, roughly chopped
1. Preheat oven to 180C and lightly oil a slice tin.
2. Into a large bowl, add eggs, zucchini, corn, onion, oil, cheese and salt and pepper. Then sift flour into bowl and combine well with a wooden spoon.
3. Pour batter into prepared slice tin and shake slightly to even batter. Sprinkle with parsley.
4. Place in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until slice is golden, firm and bounces back when touched.
5. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with your favourite tomato chutney.