THE poor weather that engulfed the Coffs Coast over the weekend might have led to yesterday’s TAB meeting in Coffs Harbour being called off, but there was a silver lining.
The meeting is being run instead on Thursday.
Same fields, same races.
The only thing different is the fact that it is being run three days later than scheduled.
Coffs Harbour Racing Club chief executive Russ Atkinson is relieved that the day’s racing is still able to go ahead.
“We rang the powers that be after the postponement to see if they could help us out, as well as the participants, and thankfully they were able to squeeze us in on Thursday,” Atkinson said.
“It will be the same program with the same acceptances.
“We’ll have to wait to see who scratches from the races but hopefully most of the horses were in great condition for this meeting and the move will see most of them running around on Thursday.”
Despite 100mm of rain falling during the 50 hours prior to the postponement call being made yesterday, Atkinson said there was one last-ditch effort made to see if the meeting could still go ahead.
“We actually sent a horse around in the morning but the track was actually worse than it was on Pink Silks Day,” he said.
“The holes that were being made in the track during the gallop were quickly filling up with water, so there was no way we could’ve raced safely.”
Now that the worst of the weather is supposedly over, Atkinson said the upshot of the move to Thursday was the fact that punters will have some more certainty when deciding which horses to back.
“When you race on a heavy track punters aren’t as confident with where to place their money,” he said.
“Hopefully that won’t be the case on Thursday if we can get the track back to a slow rating.”