Shots fired in alleged South Grafton home invasion
A KITCHEN knife was the weapon of choice in an alleged attempted home invasion at South Grafton.
Just after 7.20pm on Saturday, a 43-year-old Grafton man allegedly armed himself with the knife and metal chain and attended a home on Margaret Cres.
Coffs-Clarence Police acting inspector Darren Williams said the family inside the home heard shouting, and looked outside to see the alleged offender standing on their front lawn.
"The family left the residence to see what the problem was and saw the man holding a large kitchen knife and chain and threatening to kill anyone inside the home," Act Insp Williams said.
The male occupant then told his family to get back inside the house, and barricaded the front door.
But as the accused allegedly made further threats and continued to bang on the front door, the family became fearful for their lives.
Act Insp Williams said the male occupant removed a shot gun from his cabinet, and fired warning shots into a safe area in an attempt to deter the accused.
Shortly after, police arrived on scene and apprehended the 43-year-old man.
He was taken to Grafton Base Hospital for medical checks and later transferred to Grafton Police Station where he was arrested and charged.
He was bail refused to appear in court on Sunday and is due to reappear in Grafton Local Court today (Monday).
Act Insp Williams said the alleged offender was not known to the victims - in fact "a complete stranger".
He said dozens of phone calls had been made to police from nearby residents and witnesses who heard the sound of the warning shot being fired.
The licensed firearm has also been seized by police.