HEAVY traffic congestion in Coffs Harbour's CBD has driven the council to fast-track the completion of the Duke St extension road through Pioneer Park.
In an email to council staff , the council's director of sustainable infrastructure Mick Raby said the council will aim to have the extension road functioning within two weeks.
"We aim to have a trafficable bypass through the Extension site within two weeks weather permitting," Mr Raby said in the email.
"The bypass will then operate until the Harbour Drive/Gordon intersection is formally opened in approximately 10 weeks.
"This will provide an reasonable additional outlet for traffic around the closed intersection as originally envisaged."
Mr Raby said the Duke St extension site will close after the completion of the intersection for about five weeks to finish the project. He hopes the extension road will be re-opened in late October.
Earlier this week, mayor Denise Knight made the initial announcement the extension road will be completed earlier than the scheduled six to seven week process weather permitting.
Talking to 2CSFM on Monday, Cr Knight said she heard through sources Cr Mark Sultana blamed council staff for the delays, which he said isn't true.
"I didn't blame anyone, all I said was as a matter of urgency that we needed signs saying that the roads were closed because we are copping it on social media," Cr Sultana said.
Cr Sultana said he was under the impression the Duke St extension road would be in a usable state before the Gordon St/ Harbour Dr works began.
"I don't believe we knew as councillors we'd be doing both construction works at the same time."