For almost two years James Pattinson has had a miserable time fighting back from hamstring and back problems.
That is why he is determined to enjoy himself now he's back playing the game he loves.
The Victorian quick is in line for a Test comeback in Hobart next week for the first Test against the West Indies with Mitchell Starc ruled out with a broken foot.
The 25-year-old Pattinson is the obvious choice to replace Starc and if he is picked to face the tourists in the opening to the three-Test series, he is determined to make the most of his latest chance to impress.
"For me, it's just being able to experience things outside cricket," he said.
"I left school, I played cricket, that's all I did.
"For two years I didn't have that.
"Maybe now I appreciate things outside cricket a little bit more by being away from the game.
"I have come back now and I feel really relaxed, so I am enjoying it."
Pattinson said he had not enjoyed being away from cricket because of his injury problems but now had the right attitude to succeed again as he looks to work his way back into the Test team on a more permanent basis.
"When you're injured it's not fun," he said.
"Now being back it's all about having fun and enjoying it and that's when I play my best cricket."
Pattinson missed out on a recall to the Test team for last week's inaugural day-night Test match in Adelaide.
But Starc's injury problems have given Pattinson another chance and he is hoping he can be the man to fill the gap next week.
"It's very exciting," he said. "Hopefully I get the nod, but obviously it's good to be back in the squad.
"I'm looking forward to the challenge.
"Obviously Josh (Hazlewood) has come off a great last Test.
"He had a fantastic game (taking nine wickets and collecting man of the match honours) and Peter Siddle has got his 200 wickets, so they're both flying at the moment. It would be good to fit in there."
Meanwhile, the recently retired Mitchell Johnson will not play in this year's Big Bash League, his management has confirmed.
The 34-year-old, who was set to play for the Perth Scorchers, will spend this summer with his family but has an option to play in next season's competition.
"(It) is a real shame because I think everyone in Australia was hoping he'd play," Scorchers coach Justin Langer told 6PR on Thursday. "And I really respect where he's at.
"He retired for a reason and he won't be playing."
- APN SPORTS BUREAU