Rally saga putting our region’s reputation at stake
COFFS Harbour mayor Denise Knight said the drama surrounding the council's sponsorship of Rally Australia is hurting the region's reputation as a sporting destination.
"It makes us look unstable and no event wants to come to a city where the elected members appear to be unstable," Cr Knight said.
The mayor said she believes some of the points of the four councillors who voted against last week's sponsorship motion are valid. But she was quick to point out that major events, the scope of Rally Australia, need longer term planning than simply operating from year to year.
"If you don't have things in place for the next year and start looking at sponsorship money then we don't get anything," she said.
"Coffs Harbour has a 2030 plan and you can't just take things one year at a time. You've got to look and plan ahead."
Mark Sultana said he'd be happy as a councillor to vote further in the future provided he had the information to do so. The mayor pointed out Cr Sultana was not at the Rally Australia briefing where details of the 2017 event were explained.
Cr Sultana suggested perhaps the level of support required for the event shouldn't just be left to council.
"If the rally does a lot of good stuff for business then why don't businesses underwrite the cost of sponsoring the event? Some of these businesses are making big money out of it."
The Coffs Coast Advocate will be reporting live from Thursday's council meeting giving plenty of updates on the website as the rescission motion is discussed and voted on.