Refugee fighting Qld rape charges may be deported
LAWYERS representing a refugee fighting rape charges fear he may be deported before getting the chance to defend himself in a Brisbane court.
The 31-year-old Iranian man was released on bail after a hearing in the Brisbane Magistrates Court on Tuesday. However he was then immediately detained by immigration officials.
On Wednesday morning, his lawyers were trying to find out where he was being held.
They are planning to lodge an urgent application for a criminal justice visa so they can plan his defence ahead of his next court date on January 5.
In a statement, Immigration Minister Scott Morrison said he had been made aware of the case. "I have made it clear that I will not tolerate criminal conduct or behaviour which presents a risk to the Australian community," Mr Morrison said.