Push to repair damaged reserves
PROGRESS is being made with both NSW Treasury and the Department of Lands for funding to repair two storm-damaged Crown Reserves, according to Nambucca Shire Council's general manager Michael Coulter.
Last week councillors were told a Treasury request for Natural Disaster funding to help cover the costs of major storm damage in June had been rejected, leaving the council with a $1.3 million repair bill and no extra funds.
With landslip repairs for the two crown reserves estimated at about $400,000, the council voted to withdraw as trust managers of the reserves.
On Thursday Mr Coulter said further representations had been made to the NSW Treasury and he was feeling optimistic that some funding would be forthcoming.
“I think we are making some headway with this,” Mr Coulter said.
“The Department of Lands has been in contact with Treasury and I am optimistic we may receive a better hearing in relation to the part of our claim that relates to the repairs of the Crown Reserves.”
The council had also sought $910,000 for the repairs of a number of shire roads damaged in the storm.
On Tuesday the Department said under the Local Government Act withdrawing as trust managers did not change the onus of responsibility for the reserves.
“The council still remains responsible,” a Department of Lands spokesperson said.