Police seize ute after car chase

POLICE have seized a vehicle involved in two high-speed pursuits along the Pacific Highway on the same night this week.

Investigations are now under way to determine whether a 29-year-old man arrested by officers was behind the wheel at the time.

The car chases happened on the Mid North Coast, some 300km apart, on Wednesday night, and saw the Ford Falcon XR-8 ute in question reach speeds of 130km/h with police in pursuit.

Police said the vehicle first came under notice at Moorland when it was clocked speeding by Manning Great Lakes highway patrol at 8.05pm.

The driver failed to stop and it's alleged the red ute accelerated away at speed and overtook a number of vehicles before the pursuit was terminated due to safety concerns.

Then about 10.10pm, Coffs Harbour Highway Patrol officers spotted the ute on the Pacific Highway at Halfway Creek.

Police said the vehicle was followed and once again the driver failed to stop, so the pursuit was terminated in South Grafton.

A short time later officers found the ute stopped at a petrol station at Shark Creek, north of Grafton.

The 29-year-old was arrested at the scene and taken to Grafton Police Station where he was charged with breach of bail.

He was refused bail and appeared in Grafton Local Court on that charge as investigations continued into the pursuits.

RTA checks found the vehicle had a cancelled registration and was not fitted with number plates.

The ute was seized for forensic examination and inquiries are continuing.

Tractorgate: Rally Australia clarify bizarre Coffs incident

premium_icon Tractorgate: Rally Australia clarify bizarre Coffs incident

Andreas Mikkelsen had a surprise waiting for him on the track.

Community groups benefit from funding

Community groups benefit from funding

Funds announced for two community groups on the Coffs Coast

Council kicks off best bypass fight

premium_icon Council kicks off best bypass fight

Council's Bypass Impact Working Group will meet this week.

Local Partners