Outrage over death highway crash
WITNESSES to the latest Pacific Highway "obscenity" at Macksville find it difficult to contain their outrage.
They claim it's a miracle no one died or was seriously injured when a car and B-Double semi trailer collided around 12.50 this morning on the Pacific Highway just metres north of the Macksville Bridge.
The force of the impact caused the prime mover to mount the curb and sent it careering into two dwellings close to the road before coming to rest against the fence of one of the houses.
The 42-year-old male driver of the car and 59-year-old male truck driver were breath tested at the scene with a negative result.
A salvage team took over eight hours to remove the wreckage.
The site has seen numerous truck crashes including a semi ploughing into the river last year.
Most ominously, witnesses are pointing out the similarity between this latest incident and the one at Urunga in January which took the life of a boy sleeping in a bedroom.
Not to mention the passions aroused this week with the O'Farrell Coalition government announcing $20 million would be spent on giving new names to state roads with the Pacific Highway becoming the A1.
Police called a special conference in Sydney today, urging motorists travelling during the long weekend to think about the road and traffic conditions and the choices they make every time they take control of a vehicle.
Acting Assistant Commissioner Stuart Smith of the Traffic and Highway Patrol Command said he was alarmed at motorists not driving to conditions.
"Every time we take control of a vehicle we make a choice," he said.
"Police across the state this weekend are finding that smart people are making bad choices on our roads.
"Whether that is choosing to drink and drive, travel above the speed limit or not adjusting the way you drive to suit the conditions, those choices all bring sometimes life-changing consequences "
Operation Slowdown - the annual October long weekend traffic enforcement campaign - commenced at 12am Friday and concludes at 11.59pm on Monday.
The long weekend road toll stands at two after the deaths of a 20-year-old man and eight-year-old boy in two separate crashes.
Double demerit points will be in place for the entirety of Operation Slowdown 2012.
During Operation Slowdown 2011, five people lost their lives on NSW roads.
A further 4131 were caught speeding and 373 motorists were charged for drink driving