Old landfill site sparks gas leak at community club
VOLUNTEERS at a community netball club face a frantic fortnight to prepare for the new season after their clubhouse was closed due to a methane gas leak.
Nambour and District Netball Association president Leeann Pacey said they'd been advised only days before Christmas, following environmental testing, that the clubhouse would be fenced off.
She said there had been a smell, but they thought it was the septic system, unaware it was methane gas coming through the concrete slab from the old landfill on which the clubhouse and courts were built.
Ms Pacey said they'd received a boost this week when their request for relocatable facilities was granted.
The Sunshine Coast Council has provided the club of 500 members with relocatable amenities, office and canteen.
Ms Pacey and the committee now faced a race against the clock to be ready in time for the sign-on day on February 17, with the first grading games pencilled in for March 3.
She said they were seeking permission from the State Government to access the clubhouse briefly to retrieve computers and paperwork needed to prepare for the new season.
"We have basically been told 'don't enter' and left at that,” she said.
Methane is not considered a toxic gas but is flammable.
Ms Pacey said they weren't allowed electricity but the authorities were exploring installing a generator at the site.
She said there was still some uncertainty about whether senior games could go ahead, depending on whether they were allowed to turn the court lights on.
Ms Pacey said she understood there was no issue with the courts, including the hard courts which had been built to council specifications.
She said the clubhouse had been on the site for 20-25 years and she'd been surprised how quickly the issue had arisen.
Ms Pacey said she was hopeful members would continue to support the club this season.
Councillor Jenny McKay told the ABC they were considering moving the sports grounds to Diddillibah.