Fuel spill into Tweed River contained with catch boom

ONE hundred litres of diesel fuel leaked from a Tweed Shell-Coles Service Station and some has escaped into the Tweed River.

On Monday works were being carried out when the spill occurred at the Frances St business. 

"They moved the fuel and it's caused a spill," Tweed Heads NSW Fire and Rescue Senior Firefighter Dick Fraser said.

"It appears some did escape and go into the river."

The Tweed Heads crew had to install a hydrocarbon boom to catch the diesel.

"It's a long snake type thing that is absorbent and soaks up the fuel," he said.

Snr Firefighter Fraser said the fuel leaked from the shut off valve and it took the crew roughly an hour to stop.

Sand was also used to help clean up the fuel. A Tweed Shire Council spokeswoman said council was contacted yesterday morning by the fire brigade.

"Response was very good by the company themselves who acted immediately and captured the vast majority on the site and contained it on the site," she said. 

"The fire brigade put in additional measures. 

"Council needs to consider the response and under these circumstances, there will be no fine.

"It wasn't a purposeful breach of law as it was an accident and the company acted promptly and properly in response."

She said it was "only a minor incident in that a very small amount made its way to the river, less than would run off a carpark after heavy rain."

My Daily News contacted Shell and is awaiting comment.  

VANISHED: Where are Mia and Ziggy?

premium_icon VANISHED: Where are Mia and Ziggy?

COUPLE fear unthinkable as investigation begins into potential dog theft.

Top golfers swing back into Coffs

premium_icon Top golfers swing back into Coffs

Good news for two clubs as restrictions ease, paving the way for more time on the...

BEHIND THE DESK: Is rugby league losing its appeal?

premium_icon BEHIND THE DESK: Is rugby league losing its appeal?

Is rugby league falling behind as other winter sporting codes show signs of...