No shores deal for council
COFFS Harbour City Council won't be buying the site for the proposed Sandy Shores subdivision at Sandy Beach.
The council submitted an expression of interest for the controversial coastal site at Hearnes Lake after the owner, Sandy Shores Development Pty Ltd, went into receivership earlier this year.
A proposal for councillors to approve a new loan borrowing to allow the council to make an offer for the land was on the agenda for Thursday's council meeting.
A majority of councillors had supported exploring the option of buying the land to preserve sensitive areas of the flood-prone coastal site by adding them to the State Park, while limiting residential development to higher ground.
But this week, the councillors voted to abandon pursuing the bid following a letter from agents for the property Knight Frank.
"Basically, they were not even interested in (our offer), so we did not go any further," the Mayor said.
Sandy Shores received concept approval for 200 residential lots under now-defunct Part 3A state planning in December 2010, under former Labor planning minister Tony Kelly.
Cr Knight said she had never been "all that keen" on buying the property, "although I was happy to vote to see where (the negotiations) could go, up to an amount. We have only so much money we can spend and I think our money would be better spent somewhere else," she said.
Deputy Mayor, Greens councillor Sally Townley, said she was extremely disappointed.
"We were not shortlisted," Cr Townley said.
"It sounded as though they had had other offers."