Teen attacked by croc, films it on GoPro
BRAVE teen Westen Frankland was attacked by a croc and captured the terrifying ordeal on his camera.
The attack on the 13-year-old Tweed Valley College student from Nobbys Creek happened when he was holidaying with his family in Lawn Hill gorge, northwest Queensland, last weekend.
"I was swimming and he came out from behind a waterfall and all I saw was this big jaw, wide open, and all these pointy teeth coming at me," Weston said.
"He just latched onto my left hand and then let go. I was shocked; it didn't even click to feel the pain.
"I quickly got back to the boat and actually, then, it hurt. I felt like I could see the bite, but I only felt the pain afterwards."
The 2m croc swam to a nearby rock while Westen scrambled back to his mum and dad in the canoe.
"All of a sudden he just leapt into the canoe, crying and screaming, and said 'a croc got me!'," Sharele Frankland said.
"We didn't know the extent of it, but I knew it was a fresh water croc so it wasn't as big as other crocs, and, I suppose personally for me with my faith I knew it was going to be okay."
National Park rangers gave Westen first aid for two lacerations and several scratches, and then the Franklands had to cut their holidays short for a plane trip to Mount Isa hospital.
Doctors were shocked at the croc attack, only the second at the gorge in 28 years, but the brave teen shrugged it off.
"I seen heaps of them big crocs before, I lived in Darwin for two years, so it wasn't too bad," Westen said.
The teen used "croc attack" as his excuse for a day off school on Thursday, when he had some side effects from antibiotics.
"There was grazing and two more pronounced puncture marks, but they were on the surface, so no stitching was required which was a real blessing," Mrs Frankland said.
Westen's miraculous croc survival story featured in the Northern Territory News - well known for covering the country's top croc attacks.
FIRST AID FOR CROC BITES:
1. Clean the wound out
2. Keep it try
3. See a doctor for antibiotics to prevent infection