Murder trial continues
THE jury at the Coffs Harbour Supreme Court murder trial of Mitchell Anthony Winefield has been asked to establish whether the accused acted with intent during the fight that claimed the life of Caleb Jarrett.
The prosecution has asked the 12 jurors, evenly split by gender, to consider all the evidence and ponder the accused’s actions presented throughout the trial.
The crown called on the jury to consider if Winefield’s actions were proven, and if so were they deliberate.
“Did the accused intend to kill or inflict grievous bodily harm on the deceased, that’s the case that must be proven beyond reasonable doubt,” the prosecution said.
Winefield, who has pleaded not guilty to murder, faces the lesser charge of manslaughter if the jury decides not to acquit him.
It’s alleged the former Nambucca Heads auto electrician stabbed the 18-year-old teenager multiple times during a dispute in Mann Street on February 14, 2009.
Winefield was reversing a vehicle onto the street, when the pair crossed paths around 11.45pm.
Both had been drinking on the night, and Caleb was said to have swung his hand at the vehicle and yelled at Winefield as he walked on the footpath.
The crown this week opened its case calling Caleb’s mother Kim Jarrett to give evidence as its first witness.
On the stand, Mrs Jarrett said her son never carried a knife.
When Winefield was arrested by police a short distance from the scene about 12.45am, he was allegedly in possession of a black handled pocket knife. A friend of Caleb’s said he saw Winefield carrying a knife as he got back into his vehicle and fled.
A post mortem found Caleb suffered eight knife wounds to the chest, torso, groin and legs.
A stab wound, which pierced his heart, proved fatal.
The jury heard that Winefield, also suffered a knife wound during the altercation, a cut on his left hand that required surgery.
The trial before Justice Fullerton is set down for three weeks, and 35 witnesses including Winefield’s testimony will be heard.