Mother warns: My baby almost choked on her sister's hair
A BRISBANE mother has issued a warning to other parents after her toddler almost accidentally strangled herself to death, twisted up in her big sister's hair.
Amanda Lee told a Fairfax website, Essential Baby, that she heard her 20-month-old daughter Taleisha scream in the middle of the night.
She found Taleisha had climbed into bed with her 10-year-old sister Rhianna during the night.
The eldest daughter's hair had become twisted around her younger sister's neck.
Their father Donny cut the hair to free Taleisha.
"We sat her up on a bench and I could see the blood vessels in her face were showing, so I told Donny to call an ambulance," Amanda told Essential Baby.
"She had a bright red mark around her neck where the hair had been. I hate to think what would have happened if the hair had been around her neck any longer."
Amanda said Taleisha was rushed to hospital but was told she was not deprived of any oxygen during the ordeal.
The Brisbane mother is now warning other parents of the dangers and says she will now plait Rhianna's hair every night before bed.
The story is already making the rounds online, including on the Sunny Coast Community Board on Facebook.
"It's not unusual for Taleisha to climb into bed with her sister, they are very close. But I will definitely be plaiting the hair every night from now on," she told Essential Baby.
Days later there is still a bruise around Taleisha's neck, which is being treated with cream. Her mum says a bit more clingy than usual since the incident, but is otherwise back to her normal self.