Morning drama as chimney flue catches fire
FIREFIGHTERS scaled the roof of a house on Bucca Rd this morning to stop flames spreading through the roof cavity.
A fire broke out inside a chimney flue around 10am.
NSW Fire and Rescue and Rural Fire Service crews attended and quickly extinguished the fire's spread.
This morning's latest house fire again highlights calls from firefighters for local residents to be fire safe heading into winter.
Over the past 12 months NSW Fire and Rescue crews in Coffs Harbour, Sawtell and Woolgoolga attended 35 residential property fires, ranging from food left burning on the stove to homes engulfed in flames.
In Bellingen, over that same period, local NSW Fire and Rescue units attended five property fires.
"Having a working smoke alarm won't prevent a fire, but it will give you early warning to either extinguish the fire or evacuate and call 000," NSW Fire and Rescue Mid North Coast Commander, Inspector Tony Lenthall said.