DEVASTATED: This fire laid waste to a family’s memories.
DEVASTATED: This fire laid waste to a family’s memories. Bruce Thomas

Memories lost in the ash

A YOUNG family who lost their Bucca home to a fire have been given comfort from understanding neighbours.

As young parents Andrew and Keryn Chauncy inspected all that remained of their Mardells Road house, they were paid a visit by a couple who knows exactly how it feels to lose everything to fire.

Almost two years ago to the day, Member for Coffs Harbour Andrew Fraser and his wife, Kerrie, sifted through the ashes of their Central Bucca home.

“We can empathise with Andrew and Keryn, we know how devastating it is to lose special things you collect over many years,” Mr Fraser said.

“The kids’ photos, family memorabilia, all the things that can’t be replaced, all the things that make sense and give importance to your life.”

Mr Fraser was just about to leave for a Nationals conference in Tamworth when he heard about Wednesday’s house fire just across the valley.

It is believed an electrical fault may have been a possible cause.

Fire investigators were yesterday unable to access all areas of the four-bedroom home due to fears the roof could collapse.

The family purchased the three hectare property in October, making the “tree-change” to pursue their passion of keeping horses.



VIDEO: Candidates respond to Great Koala National Park plans

premium_icon VIDEO: Candidates respond to Great Koala National Park plans

Candidates share their thoughts on the Great Koala National Park.

Grafton community takes first step towards healing

premium_icon Grafton community takes first step towards healing

WATCH: Christ Church Cathedral prayer vigil livestream

New powers for police to combat drug dealers

premium_icon New powers for police to combat drug dealers

No warrants needed to search homes and cars of convicted dealers