Fire engulfs wreckers
AS Nick Stubbs watched thick black smoke pour from his auto shop late yesterday, he still managed to retain his sense of humour.
“It’s not exactly beer and prawns,” he said.
Instead of enjoying a few after-work Friday drinks, Nick and his four staff fled for their lives when fire broke out at Marcia Street Wreckers.
They had been trying to start up a Commodore in a back booth when the engine blew up.
“We grabbed fire extinguishers, but there was that much smoke I told them to get out,” Nick said.
Firefighters were forced to don breathing apparatus as they stormed into the smoke-filled workshop to douse the flames.
Police set up a road block along Marcia Street as the fire crews set to work. Once the blaze was out, firefighters continued to check the blackened interior of the building to ensure there were no hotspots which could cause a flare-up. All Nick and his employees could do as the drama unfolded was watch from across the road.
“Hopefully the damage is just contained to the back section where the fire started,” Nick said.
He wasn’t sure if the battery in the car had blown up when they were trying to start it, or if fuel had leaked onto the ground and caught alight, or if there was a problem with the spark tester.