Man dies instantly after shooting firework from top of head

A 22-YEAR-OLD man has died after he set off a fireworks mortar from the top of his head.

Devon Staples was celebrating the Fourth of July with friends in Calais, Maine, when he placed a reloadable motor tube on his head, set it off and died instantly.

Stephen McCausland, spokesman for the Maine Department of Public Safety, told the Bangor Daily News that Mr Staples had been drinking alcohol and that explosion immediately caused a fatal head injury.

"When he suggested he was going to do this, his friends gathered around him and they thought they had convinced him not to do it," he said.

However, the victim's brother Cody Staples refuted multiple reports, telling the New York Daily News that the incident was "a freak accident."

"It was a freak accident. Devon was not the kind of person who would do something stupid. He was the kind of person who would pretend to do something stupid to make people laugh."

The incident marks the first reported death in a fireworks accidents in Maine since their legalisation in 2012.

According to the Associated Press, state fire marshals were investigating several other fireworks accidents involving injuries in Friendship, Jefferson, Lebanon and Woodstock. Officials said the accidents mostly involved burns and minor eye injuries.



Sunday's knee jerk reaction: Coffs Coast weekend sport

Sunday's knee jerk reaction: Coffs Coast weekend sport

Get the weekend scores and find what was good, bad and ugly in sport

Ky on a winning high at Aussies

Ky on a winning high at Aussies

Kinsela part of big victory at Australian Surf Life Saving Champs.

Tourism awards back on Coffs Coast

Tourism awards back on Coffs Coast

Opal Cove will host the North Coast Tourism Awards on July 25

Local Partners