Magpies coaching job a 'two-way street', says Buckley
COLLINGWOOD coach Nathan Buckley says the final call on his coaching future is a two-way street between himself and the club.
In his sixth year in charge at the Magpies, Buckley is out of contract at the end of the season.
In an interview last year he said the club would need to make finals in 2017 for him to keep his job.
At the halfway point of this season the Magpies are in 11th spot on the ladder with a 5-7 record.
However, on Monday night Buckley said the coaching call is not just in the hands of the club.
"I think one thing that people seem to forget is that it is a two-way street," he said on Footy Classified.
"The club has got to make a decision on me as to whether they think I'm the man for the job but I've also got a decision to make as to whether I am going to put my hand up.
"I've got confidence in myself. The fact is, that is a judgment that I have to make as well. I want to make finals, I believe that we are capable of making finals. That is where the comment came from. I still think, given an even run, that we will get there."
After slipping to second last on the ladder last month, the Magpies have been one of the league's big improvers in recent weeks.
Collingwood won three in a row before Monday's Queen's Birthday loss to Melbourne.
Had the Magpies won that game they would have been in the eight.
Buckley said the comments on his future shouldn't be taken as a sign of doubt in his ability to lead the club beyond 2017.
"If I felt at all like I wasn't getting the best out of that group, I'd put my hand up and walk away, he said.
"I feel pretty confident now, the players are invested, the leaders have been first class."
Buckley said he has not spoken with Collingwood president Eddie McGuire about his future.
He said he expects those decisions to occur when the club starts planning its list management strategies beyond this year.
"It has been left open. I am more than happy to leave it that way," Buckley said.