Mackay man charged with child rape banned from school
SHOCKING child rape allegations have been made against a Mackay man.
The 28 year old is charged with four offences including rape and indecent treatment of a child aged under 12.
It is alleged the offending occurred in the Northern Beaches area between December 2017 and January this year.
The man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, appeared next to his lawyer in Mackay Magistrates Court today for the first mention of the case.
The court was told he had been granted watchhouse bail in late May following his arreste.
As part of his bail conditions he is not allowed to attend a particular Mackay school, which the Daily Mercury is also prohibited from naming for legal reasons.
There are also no contact orders against the alleged complainant and others.
Defence solicitor Chris Colwill, who appeared for the man, said barrister Phil Moore had carriage of the matter.
"He has asked if the brief of evidence can be prepared in view of the matter proceeding upstairs," Mr Colwill said.
Due to the seriousness of the charges, the matter must be committed to Mackay District Court but only if it has been established there is a case to answer.
The maximum penalty for rape is life imprisonment. While for indecent treatment of a child under 12 years the maximum penalty is up to 20 years jail.
Once the case has been committed to the higher court, crown prosecutors have six months to indict the man on all or some of the charges.
Under Queensland law, the media is prohibited from identifying any person charged with rape, as well as any other prescribed sexual offence, until the charge has been committed to trial and only then if it does not identify any complainants.
Magistrate Mark Nolan noted no pleas had been entered and ordered the police brief of evidence be disclosed by July 29 this year.
The case was adjourned to mid-August for mention.
Mr Nolan enlarged the man's bail conditions and he was free to go.