Menu

London attack: Shocking video shows terror carnage

News Corp Australia

HARROWING footage shows the Westminster terror attacker's abandoned car and injured victims sprawled across the pavement.

The new video has emerged as another victim who was injured during the attack passed away in hospital, bringing the death toll to five.

Police said in a statement that life support was withdrawn from the 75-year-old man and his family had been notified.

The Sun reports the shocking video was taken seconds after the attacker - named as British-born Khalid Masood - smashed his car into the gates of Parliament.

It appears to show at least two people under the front of the car, and another further along the pavement.

One man can be heard repeatedly shouting "No" and "call an ambulance" while another witness, believed to be a police officer, yells "get back" as they try to help.

Five people died - including the attacker who was shot by police - and 28 were injured in the atrocity yesterday.

A 35-year-old tourist from Watford, who filmed the clip, said: "I was there by Westminster with my sister and nephew. We were planning on going to see London Bridge and take photos there.

"We were crossing the bridge then this happened. The car passed and I could see bodies running, jumping and getting crushed. There were two ladies behind car and the first one lay on the floor bleeding.

"One guy was just screaming and screaming. Everyone I was with was ok, but many around us were injured. One person went down. Then they woke up and went down again.

"I ran straight towards it to see and I saw the bodies there before I was pushed back. There was chaos and everyone was extremely shocked."

 

LONDON TERRORIST A 'FITNESS JUNKIE'

THE London terrorist who murdered three people before he was shot dead by police has been named as a bodybuilding obsessed married dad-of-three.

Islamist convert former English teacher Khalid Masood, 52, who mowed down pedestrians on Westminster Bridge before storming Parliament and stabbing a police officer to death, was born in Kent but later moved to the West Midlands.

Scotland Yard said Masood had previous convictions for assaults, including GBH, possession of offensive weapons and public order offences. He had not been convicted of any terrorism offences.
 

AS IT HAPPENED

UK TERROR: Stabbing attack in the heart of London

London locked down: Police officer killed in stabbing

UK attack: Woman 'flipped' off bridge, pulled from water

Did the London attacker post about his plan online?


Masood's first conviction was in November 1983 for criminal damage and his last conviction was in December 2003 for possession of a knife.

The Metropolitan Police said there was "no prior intelligence about his intent to mount a terrorist attack". The killer was known by a number of aliases including Khali Choudri, according to Sky News.

 

 

ISLAMIC STATE CLAIMS RESPONSIBILITY

Islamic State claimed responsibility for Wednesday's London terror attack. The jihadi news network released a statement saying a "source to Amaq" had confirmed the attacker was "a soldier of the Islamic State" who was answering calls to target British citizens.

"The attacker yesterday in front of the British parliament in London was a soldier of the Islamic State, executing the operation in response to calls to target citizens of coalition nations," the statement said.

A suspected terrorist attack has left four people dead, including a police officer, and at least 20 people injured.
A suspected terrorist attack has left four people dead, including a police officer, and at least 20 people injured. AAP Images


The extremist news network did not name Masood or provide further details. IS notoriously take credit for any attack on Western soil, even if the attacker was working alone. This would be the first Islamic State attack on English soil.

 

 

VIGIL FOR TERROR VICTIMS

Crowds have gathered at Trafalgar Square in London for a vigil in honour of the three people killed in the terror attack.

Some people wore T-shirts with the words: "I am a Muslim, ask me anything" printed on them, the UK Telegraph reported. Three members of the group held a banner reading: "Love for all, hatred for none".
 

Speaking ahead of the 6pm vigil, London Mayor Sadiq Khan said: "Tonight in Trafalgar Square there will be a vigil for Londoners who are wondering what to do.

"To show solidarity with those who have lost their lives and their families, to show solidarity with those who have been injured, and to say to the terrorists: 'You will not succeed in cowering us, we will remain united, and we are the greatest city in the world'."
 

LONDON TERROR: The images that stunned the world

 

THIRD VICTIM IDENTIFIED
A 54-year-old father from the US state of Utah was named as one of the three people killed in the attack.

Kurt Cochran, 54, was touring Europe with his 46-year-old wife, Melissa. They were reportedly the first people mowed down by a terrorist on the south end of Westminster Bridge.

His wife was identified as the blood-splattered woman whose face was plastered on many front pages around the world.

Mr Cochran reportedly either jumped or was pushed over the edge of the bridge onto steps beneath it. He died of his injuries, while his wife is recovering in hospital after suffering a broken leg and rib.

Kurt Cochran was killed in the London terror attack and Melissa Payne Cochran badly injured.
Kurt Cochran was killed in the London terror attack and Melissa Payne Cochran badly injured. GoFundMe

US President Donald Trump tweeted condolences to Mr Cochran's family.

Ms Payne Cochran's parents are serving as temple missionaries for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in London, KUTV reported. Her brother, Clinton, released a statement through the LDS Church.

"Our family is heartbroken to learn of the death of our brother and son-in-law, Kurt W. Cochran, who was a victim of Wednesday's terrorist attack in London. Kurt was a good man and a loving husband to our sister and daughter, Melissa," he said.

He continued: "They were in Europe to celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary, and were scheduled to return to the United States on Thursday. Melissa also received serious injuries in the attack, and is being cared for in the hospital," he said.

"We express our gratitude to the emergency and medical personnel who have cared for them and ask for your prayers on behalf of Melissa and our family. Kurt will be greatly missed, and we ask for privacy as our family mourns and as Melissa recovers from her injuries."

A GoFundMe page has been set up to try and help support Ms Payne Cochran.

The other two victims of the attack have been named as mother-of-two Aysha Frade, 43, who died on Westminster Bridge as she went to collect her children from school, and police officer Keith Palmer, 48, who was stabbed by the assailant.


WOMAN FLUNG INTO RIVER NAMED
The woman who survived the London terror attack after falling from Westminster Bridge was revealed to have been on holidays and preparing to celebrate her fiance's birthday.

Dramatic footage shows a woman identified as Romanian tourist Andreea Cristea, 29, plummeting six meters into the freezing River Thames as a speeding car flies past, smashing into pedestrians on the bridge.

The Port of London Authority said she was in a critical condition and was given emergency care on a pier before being rushed to hospital.

Andreea Cristea, 29, plummeted into the River Thames.
Andreea Cristea, 29, plummeted into the River Thames. Facebook

The British media is reporting that Ms Cristea was in London with her fiance Andrei Burnaz to celebrate his birthday today. Mr Burnaz is reported to have suffered a minor injury.

Paul Ciocoiu, a spokesman for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Romania, told Digi 24 TV: "According to information we have, she (Ms Cristea) would be the pedestrian hit by a car and thrown into the Thames and then recovered. Ministry contacted the family.

"We do not know when the family arrived in Britain. If the family require consular assistance, of course, the ministry provides help punctually.

"There is a crisis cell set up immediately after the conclusion of the terrorist attack. There are the usual procedures, to keep in touch with British authorities, hospital authorities and family seriously injured citizen."


MUSLIM GROUP RAISES MONEY FOR VICTIMS
A Muslim group has raised more than STG11,000 ($18,000) to support the victims of the London terror attack and their families.

Muslims United for London started a fundraising campaign, on the promise that all the money will "go to the victims and the families of the victims most affected by the tragic events".

After hitting the STG10,000 ($16,200) target within hours, a new target of STG20,000 ($32,500) was set.
 

In a statement, the group wrote on the page: "While no amount of money will bring back lives lost or take away from the pain the victims and their families are going through, we hope to lessen their burden in some way as citizens, Londoners, and human beings."


TERRORIST KNOWN TO POLICE
Prime Minister Theresa May said Masood, who launched the deadly attack at Westminster, was born in Britain and known to the intelligence services.

"What I can confirm is that the man was British-born and that some years ago he was once investigated by MI5 in relation to concerns about violent extremism," she told MPs in her first House of Commons speech after the attack.

"He was a peripheral figure," she added. "The case is historic, he was not part of the current intelligence picture."
 

The suspected terrorist on a stretcher outside Parliament.
The suspected terrorist on a stretcher outside Parliament. AAP Images

She said there had been no prior intelligence of his intent nor of the plot. The prime minister said it was still believed that Masood acted alone and there was "no reason to believe" further attacks on the public were planned.

Queen Elizabeth II, who sent her sympathies to all the victims and their families, cancelled plans to open the new Scotland Yard building today "for very understandable reasons."

"I look forward to visiting at a later date," she said.

She praised the work of emergency service personnel who responded to the terror attack.

"I know I speak for everyone in expressing my enduring thanks and admiration for the members of the Metropolitan Police Service and all who work so selflessly to help and protect others," she said.


EIGHT ARRESTS MADE
All eight people arrested after the London terror attack are suspected of preparing terrorist acts, police said.

Mark Rowley, acting deputy commissioner, said the arrests were made following raids on six homes in London, Birmingham and other parts of England.

Police on Thursday were still searching properties in Wales, Birmingham and East London.

"Hundreds of detectives have been working through the night and during that time I can confirm we have searched six addresses," Mr Rowley said.

It has also been revealed that the Hyundai 4x4 used by Masood in the attack was rented from an Enterprise outlet in Solihull.

A statement from Enterprise car hire said: "We can confirm that the car used in the tragic attack in London yesterday afternoon was one of ours.

"An employee identified the vehicle after seeing the licence plate in an image online. We ran another check to verify, and immediately contacted the authorities. We are co-operating fully with the authorities and will provide any assistance that we can to the investigation."

 

AUSTRALIAN CAUGHT UP IN ATTACK
An Australian woman was injured in the attack. Patricia Neis-Beer, a German-born Australian resident from South Australia, was among those hurt when Masood used a speeding car to mow down tourists along the Westminster Bridge.

Ms Neis-Beer, who has a 26-year-old son called Jordan and a 19-year-old daughter called Paige and who works in an organic market and cafe in Stirling in Adelaide, was one of those injured in the first mass-casualty terrorism attacks on British soil in more than a decade. Her condition was not known last night.


BRITISH PM MEETS ATTACK VICTIMS
Mrs May visited a hospital on Thursday where she spoke to victims of the London attack. About 40 people were injured in the attack, of whom 29 remain in hospital, seven in critical condition. Four people, including the attacker, died.

"She has signed the book of condolence and she has recently returned to Number 10 (Downing Street) after a private visit to a hospital where she spent around 40 minutes speaking with victims of yesterday's events, ward staff, clinical staff ... to thank them for their work," a spokesman said.

British PM Theresa May
British PM Theresa May AAP Images

 

HONOURING A HERO
Police constable Keith Palmer, 48, who was stabbed multiple times outside Westminster, died in the attack.

More than STG66,000 ($107,000) has been donated to a JustGiving fund, set up by the The Metropolitan Police Federation for the police officer's family

"Every day, all over London and the rest of the UK, Police Officers risk their lives to protect and defend us - in the wake of this tragedy our thoughts are with Keith's family and all the people who are injured have lost their lives," the police federation wrote.

PC Keith Palmer was killed during the terrorist attack on the Houses of Parliament in London.
PC Keith Palmer was killed during the terrorist attack on the Houses of Parliament in London.

PC Palmer was a member of the Met's Parliamentary and Diplomatic Protection command with 15 years service and is believed to have been a member of the Royal Artillery before coming a cop, according to The Sun.

Mark Rowley, the national lead for Counter Terrorism Policing and the Acting Deputy Commissioner, said: "He was someone who left for work today expecting to return home at the end of his shift and he had every right to expect that would happen."

Hundreds of thousands of dollars was raised online for the families of those who died in the London terror attack.

 

 

 

The suspected terrorist on a stretcher outside Parliament.
The suspected terrorist on a stretcher outside Parliament. AAP Images