ROCK superstar Lenny Kravitz will headline the opening night of next year's Bluesfest as part of only his third tour of Australia in more than 20 years.
The performance, planned for Thursday April 2, will feature Kravitz's full 16-member band and forms part of the tour for his new album, Strut.
Bluesfest director Peter Noble said the addition of Kravitz to the lineup meant next year's festival would open with a bang.
"Thursday at Bluesfest is going to be massive," Mr Noble said in a written statement.
Lenny in a nutshell
- Leonard Albert 'Lenny' Kravitz is an American rock singer-songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, record producer, actor and arranger, whose 'retro' style incorporates elements of rock, soul, R&B, funk, reggae, hard rock, psychedelic, folk and ballads.
- Kravitz was born in New York City on May 26, 1964.
- He won the Grammy Award for Best Male Rock Vocal Performance four years in a row from 1999 to 2002, breaking the record for most wins in that category as well as setting the record for most consecutive wins in one category by a male.
- Rock god: On September 23, 2014 Lenny Kravitz released his tenth studio album Strut on his own Roxie Records via Kobalt Label Services. On June 13, he announced that The Chamber will be the album's first single. The single was released on June 24. On August 6, The song Sex was the album's second single. On October 21 New York City was released as the album's third single.
- Movie star: We have seen Kravitz in some blockbuster Hollywood films such as The Hunger Games series, Precious (2009), The Butler (2013) and Zoolander (2001).
- Byron lover: In March 2012, Kravitz posted a picture in his Twitter account of himself with Craig Ross (his guitarist), John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin and Them Crooked Vultures), Seasick Steve, Andrew Stockdale (Wolfmother) relaxing in Byron Bay.
"We have Blues Rock superstar Lenny Kravitz in the house on the Thursday, along with the Counting Crows, Ben Howard, Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue, Jimmy Cliff, the Chris Robinson Brotherhood and so many more.
"It has taken us years of negotiations and now, one of my dreams as a Festival Director, is about to come true.
"Lenny Kravitz has the hits - the charisma - the show. He is one of the greats of the modern Rock era.
"He is the icing on the cake, for what is shaping to be one of our best ever Bluesfest's and we sure are putting an awful lot of icing on our Bluesberry cake this year."