Steam boiler causes laundromat fire

AS many as 20 staff had to flee a Coffs Harbour laundromat when fire broke out this morning.

Coffs Harbour Fire Station crews were called to GDT Seccombe Close at 8.40am when a steam boiler caught on fire.

Fire station officer Sally Foote said firefighters arrived to discover the 20 employees had evacuated the building and isolated the gas and the power after seeing smoke coming from the machine.

“We think the extraction fan had burnt out,” Ms Foote said.

“There was a small amount of damage to the boiler but no damage to the building – the boiler was under a shelter at the rear.”

A boiler mechanic was called in to examine the problem, she said.



NSW powerless to stop energy crisis

premium_icon NSW powerless to stop energy crisis

NSW is increasingly relying on power generated in Queensland.

Flagship Steve Irwin sails the East Coast against Adani

Flagship Steve Irwin sails the East Coast against Adani

Sea Shepherd to challenge global mining company in latest battle

Cigarettes a real pain in the butt

Cigarettes a real pain in the butt

Cigarette butts 'top' the rubbish charts.

Local Partners