New bridge holds historic links
LAST Thursday's official opening of Hartleys Bridge didn't just bring the memories flooding back for families using the crossing of the Orara River upstream of Coramba
The were also historic links with the company which provided the timber for what is Coffs Harbour City Council's longest timber bridge
The supplier of the piles, girders and all the sawn deck, Leonard J Williams Timber, dates back to the early 1900s on the Coffs Coast.
Malcolm Williams, the grandfather of current manager Shane Williams, was a log cutter, axeman, bullock team driver and girder cutter who in the 1920's ran a sawmill on the current Coffs Harbour Toyota site.
Aftert the mill was destroyed by fire he became a district rep for Allan Taylor & Co which ooperated fromw hat is now the Homebase site.
His son and Shane's father, Leonard J Williams founded the company which still bears his name, supplying telegraph poles, piles, bridge girders and decking, sleepers and transoms and cross arms to clients across the country and even in New Zealand.
The business operated at the Coffs Harbour Jetty but later transferred to Wears Road, Central Bucca where a sawmill was installed under the guidance of Shane and his brother, Chris.
Now Shane's three sons Matthew, Andrew and Peter have taken on varying roles in the company, while his daughter Anne-Marie, works in the office.
To find out more about the products Leonard J Williams Timbers offers call the office on 6652 3427.