Korff Collection on display
COFFS Harbour’s most significant collection of historic items goes on display at the Coffs Harbour City Council chambers tomorrow.
The Korff Collection, which has recently undergone expert conservation, includes items belonging to the “founder” of Coffs Harbour, Captain John Korff and family.
It will be unveiled at 10am tomorrow by Coffs Harbour Mayor Keith Rhoades.
On display is a picture of John Korff, the family bible that belonged to his wife Mary, a greeting card, a hand-drawn copy of the Korff family crest, a business card, an engraved telescope and a daguerreotype of John Korff’s brother Frederick and his family.
The items were given to the Coffs Harbour Historical Society by members of the Korff family and local conservator Anne Kennett helped maintain them for future generations.
During a southerly gale about 1847, Captain John Korff in his ship Brothers, heading for the Bellinger River took shelter in the lee of the headland. The visit saw his name bestowed on Korff’s Islet and Korff’s Harbour, until a printing mistake in 1861 saw the name modified to Coff’s Harbour.