© iStockphoto.com/Pgiam

Jury hears more in murder trial

NAMBUCCA Heads residents have told a jury what they heard the night teenager Caleb Jarrett, 18, suffered fatal stab wounds in Mann St two years ago.

On the stand today in the Coffs Harbour Supreme Court, police witnesses recalled how they saw a group of young males in the neighbourhood on the night of February 14, 2009.

One resident said he heard a commotion in the street and saw the youths damaging a public telephone box outside shops in Mann St.

He also said he heard a vehicle skid its tyres on the road and an engine revving loudly.

A resident in Centenary Drive who was watching television in his loungeroom said he saw a group of about eight to 10 young males walk past his home.

He also recalled hearing a feuding couple in Mann St involved in an argument.

A short time later police lights were visible in the street.

By that time Caleb Jarrett had been rushed to hospital suffering eight stabs wounds, including one to the heart, which the post mortem found proved fatal.

Mitchell Anthony Winefield, 45, is the man on trial charged with his murder.

Crown prosecutors are seeking to prove he inflicted the wounds after he and Caleb crossed paths and became involved in a fight.

The Crown has told the jury the accused was reversing his vehicle onto the road around 11.45pm when Caleb walked past his home, swung his hand at the 4WD and yelled at the driver.

Winefield, an auto electrician in the town at the time, allegedly got out and walked towards the teenager and a fight ensued.

Prosecutors say one of Caleb’s friend’s told detectives he saw Winefield carrying a knife as he left the scene of the fight.

Caleb collapsed to the ground shortly after and his shirt was lifted, revealing a large slash wound to his stomach.

Later police investigating the incident saw Winefield’s Nissan Patrol in Pioneer Street, 700 metres from the scene.

He allegedly had the black-handled pocket knife in his possession and handed it over to officers when questioned.

A police forensic investigator told the jury he found blood inside Winefield’s home and on the front steps and veranda of the premises.

After his arrest, Winefield underwent surgery for a wound to his hand in hospital.

The trial before Justice Fullerton continues in the Coffs Harbour Courthouse.

Oakeshott seeks advice on use of public funds by candidates

premium_icon Oakeshott seeks advice on use of public funds by candidates

He says The Nationals are using taxpayers' money as a 'plaything'.

Man arrested twice in one morning for drunken burnouts

premium_icon Man arrested twice in one morning for drunken burnouts

Man accused of drunkenly doing burnouts outside popular resort.

Drivers caught under the influence face court

premium_icon Drivers caught under the influence face court

At least 13 in court this week for drink or drug driving.