Italian accused stays in custody as bail saga goes on
NO BAIL has yet been granted for an Italian national accused of abducting a 15-year-old Ipswich boy.
For the second time the bail application by lawyers for Dario Antonucci, 33, was adjourned part-heard by Ipswich magistrate Tracy Mossop.
Police allege Antonucci was found in a Toowoomba motel with a 15-year-old boy who'd apparently been driven there.
Antonucci, has been in Australia on a student visa since 2014.
He faces one charge of abducting a child aged under 16 at Bellbird Park between December 25, 2018, and January 5.
Last week his bail application was adjourned part-heard when magistrate Mossop said she preferred that police first receive information that Interpol may have on Antonucci.
Ms Mossop was also concerned that the bail address he gave then was an Ipswich motel.
Barrister Stephen Kissick appeared in court under instruction from the Crown and said there had still been no Interpol report on Antonucci made to Queensland Police. .
He said senior police were diligently looking into the matter.
Mr Kissick said in this case a Mercedes Benz car was alleged to have taken the boy to Toowoomba. Its was found by police parked outside a Toowoomba residence.
"He (Antonucci) has been very cagey about his movements," Mr Kissick said.
Defence barrister Justin Thomas said Antonucci sought for his bail application be dealt with.
Mr Thomas said the Crown had three weeks to obtain material and it was appropriate to proceed.
He said Antonucci would deposit $10,000 as security and live temporarily with a friend in Melbourne.
His brother is arriving from Italy late next week, and the prospect of him obtaining more permanent, long-term accommodation was strong.
Mr Thomas said there was an absence of evidence in the case.
Ms Mossop said there was evidence that when police twice spoke to him, Antonucci denied knowing where the boy was.
Discussion centred on Antonucci being required to wear a tracking device and the need for a preferred Queensland address to be bailed to with daily reporting to police.
Ms Mossop signalled she would be willing to grant bail if all acceptable criteria, particularly a stable address, were met.
The bail application was again adjourned part-heard. It is likely to return to court by February 6.