Inquiry into troubled industry
THE launch of a NSW parliamentary inquiry into state's troubled construction industry has been welcomed by union chiefs and politicians.
High profile Sydney barrister Bruce Collins, who was appointed to head the inquiry this week, will consider whether legal reforms could be put in place to protect jobs and major projects in the event of a construction company collapse.
Unions NSW secretary Mark Lennon said on Thursday he was "extremely pleased" to learn of the inquiry.
"In recent years we have seen hundreds of companies collapse in NSW leaving thousands of workers out of pocket and crippling vital projects for the state," Mr Lennon said.
"It is my sincere hope that this inquiry will lead to meaningful reforms which will give workers confidence they will not be left out in the cold when collapses occur".
Coffs Harbour MP Andrew Fraser, whose electorate was significantly impacted by collapse of St Hilliers Constructions said he hoped the inquiry would ensure sub contractors received payments for their work, regardless of the circumstance.
He encouraged all subcontractors who had been left out of pocket in recent years to make s submission to the inquiry.
Submissions can be made at www.nsw.gov.au/haveyoursay